Basketball performance is a complex multifactorial phenomenon, determined by numerous intrinsic and extrinsic factors.
EuroLeague Players’ Association and ELPA Performance Advisory Board present 1st ELPA Performance International Congress (EPIC), which will be held online on May 29, 2021. Renowned experts from different professional fields will share their latest scientific researches, methodologies and experiences with the wider basketball and sports community on the topics of performance, strength & conditioning, nutrition, data science, sports psychology, traumatology, and others.
- Date: May 29th, 2021
- Location: ONLINE
- Registration fee: FREE OF CHARGE
ELPA Performance International Congress is intended for professional basketball clubs’ performance staff (strength & conditioning coaches, physiotherapists, doctors, etc..), basketball coaches, basketball players, university students, other sports organizations’ operatives and referees. The congress will be free of charge for all attendants.
How to register?
Upon completion of the form, attendants will receive a confirmation e-mail (check spam/junk folder in case you do not receive it!). Link to the congress will be sent 2 days prior to the event.
ELPA Performance International Congress will be organized under the patronage of:
- Acibadem MAA University, Turkey
- Research Center in Sports Sciences, Health Sciences and Human Development, Portugal
- School of Health Sciences, Tecno Campus-Pompeu Fabra University, Mataró, Barcelona, Spain
- University of Basque Country, Spain
- University of Ljubljana Faculty of Sports, Slovenia
- University of Novi Sad Faculty of Sport and Physical Education, Serbia
- University of Udine, Italy
- University of Zagreb Faculty of Kinesiology, Croatia
- University of Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro, Portugal
- ELPA President Gigi Datome
- ELPA Managing Director Bostjan Nachbar
9.15-10.00: PLAYER TIME-OUT
Difficulties & challenges of transitioning from playing at the elite level to coaching, and using the on-court experiences & competencies to bridge the gap.
Learning by Doing – Elite Basketball Players Transforming to Coaches
Speaker: Jaka Lakovic
Coordinator: Francesco Cuzzolin
About Jaka Lakovic:
- Head Coach of Ratiopharm Ulm, EuroCup, German BBL league
- EuroLeague champion as a player (2010, FC Barcelona), EuroBasket champion as a coach (2017, Slovenian Men’s National Team)
10.00-10.45: SPORTS PSYCHOLOGY
Choosing the correct coaching of motivational climate to make a difference and boost the performance of the team.
Coaching Motivational Climate in High Performance
Speaker: prof. Isabel Balaguer PhD
Coordinator: Mar Rovira
About prof. Isabel Balaguer PhD:
- Professor of Social Psychology, Faculty of Psychology, University of Valencia, Spain
- Director of the Research Group of Sport Psychology, UIPD
10.45-11.30: SPORTS TRAUMATOLOGY
Assessing athletes’ frequent injuries of the knee joint and reviewing treatment options of cartilage & ligament injuries in elite basketball.
Management of Cartilage Injuries of Elite Basketball Players
Speaker: Dr. Guy Morag, MD
Coordinator: Dr. Baris Kocaoglu, MD
About Dr. Guy Morag, MD:
- Orthopedic Surgeon, Head of medical division, Maccabi Tel Aviv Basketball Club
- Head of the Sports Medicine unit at the Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
Management of ACL and MCL Injuries and Return to Play
Speaker: Dr. Baris Kocaoglu, MD
About Dr. Baris Kocaoglu, MD
- Professor of orthopedics Acibadem University Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
- Team doctor of Turkish National Basketball Teams
12.00-12.45: PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
The change of modern sports preparation in professional basketball due to a multidimensional and interdisciplinary approach.
European Taste of NBA Performance
Speaker: Xavi Schelling, PhD
Coordinator: Igor Jukic
About Xavi Schelling, PhD:
- Director of Sports Science & Athletic Performance San Antonio Spurs, NBA
- PhD in physical activity and sport
12.45-13.30: SPORTS SCIENCE
Translating the latest knowledge on recovery from sports scientists to practitioners – the elite basketball players.
Recovery in Basketball – Move Faster from Science to Practice
Speakers: Dr. Stephen Bird and Mladen Mihajlovic
Coordinator: Julio Calleja-González
About Dr. Stephen Bird:
- Athlete Health and Performance Lead, Basketball New Zealand Senior National Teams
- Associate Professor – Sport and Exercise, University of Southern Queensland Australia
About Mladen Mihajlovic:
- Head Strength & Conditioning coach Virtus Segafredo Bologna
- Former Head Strength & Conditioning coach of Red Star Belgrade, Partizan Belgrade, Bayern Munich and Serbian Men’s National Team
13.30-14.30: LUNCH BREAK
14.30-15.15: DATA SCIENCE
Understanding novel processes of extracting information from workload data and fitness testing with the aim to enhance performance and prevent injuries.
Training Schedule Confounds the Relationship between Acute:Chronic Workload Ratio and Injury
Speaker: Prof. Luke Bornn
Coordinator: Jaime Sampaio
About Prof. Luke Bornn:
- Co-Founder and Chief Scientist of Zelus Analytics, prior to which he held roles leading analytics efforts at the Sacramento Kings and A.S. Roma
- Former professor in statistics at Harvard University, USA and Simon Fraser University, Canada
Load Monitoring and Fitness Testing Research in Basketball: Practical Considerations, Issues, and Moving the Field Forward
Speaker Dr. Aaron Scanlan
Coordinator: Jaime Sampaio
About Dr. Aaron Scanlan
- Basketball researcher and Director of the Human Exercise and Training Laboratory at Central Queensland University, Australia
- High performance coach of Australian basketball players, collaborated on a wide range of basketball projects with researchers from 20+ countries
15.15-16.00: SPORTS NUTRITION
Why and how to take creatine to upgrade basketball performance beyond muscle.
Creatine for Brain Health and Performance of Basketball Players
Speaker: Dr. Scott Forbes PhD
Coordinator: Sergej M. Ostojic
About Dr. Scott Forbes PhD:
- Associate professor Brandon University, Manitoba, Canada
- Adjunct professor University of Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
16.00-16.45: STRENGTH & CONDITIONING
The influence of technological innovation in the modern era and its effect on basketball strength and conditioning.
Innovative Technology for Strength Training: Shaping the Future of Professional Coaches
Speaker: prof. Andrea Biscarini, PhD
Coordinator: Francesco Cuzzolin
About prof. Andrea Biscarini, PhD:
- Associate Professor in Biomechanics at the Department of Medicine, University of Perugia, Italy
- Supervisor of the biomechanical research activities within the Technogym Scientific Department